Thursday, November 15, 2012

Am I an artist?

I love taking photos, making jewelry, and writing stories. But does this make me an artist?

What is an artist?

Dictionary.com says the definition of an artist is:

1. a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
2. a person who practices one of the fine arts, especially a painter or sculptor.
3. a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
4. a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
5. a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.
 
 
But can't an artist be just someone who sees beauty, pain, wonder and shares it with the world?
That's how I see myself. No real training, just a desire to share what I find striking and fascinating.

No comments: