Friday, April 4, 2014

Reading Out Loud

I am naturally a shy person and growing up it prevented me from experiencing many things. When I was getting ready to attend my first semester of college, I decided that my adult life would be different. I would step out of my comfort zone and try things that excited and scared me. The first thing that I did was sign up for a voice class where I would be singing in front of at least 30 strangers. And it worked. I learned not to let my nerves stop me from doing what I wanted (and bonus- I got an A in the class).

This brings me to present day. The week after I attended my first writing club meeting, I actually read one of my short stories to the group. It was bad. But being good wasn’t the point. My goal was to hear my words out loud and to listen to the constructive criticism that the others would provide. This is the only way to become a better writer. Now there is one less hurdle to cross on my road to becoming a published writer.

No comments: